I thought I'd share a few more tasty morsels with you that I've jotted down while being here.
1. there's not really a school lunch - most kids go home for about an hour or so to eat lunch. those who don't hang out at school with a lunch that they've brought from home, but they're usually pretty good about maintaining a sense of order while they're not in class.
2. there's no census in Germany - ever since the whole WWII/Holocaust thing, I think they're afraid of "counting" people and ethnic groups.
3. speaking of ethnic groups - there's a lot of diversity in Germany (you probably wouldn't think that'd be the case.) the major minority ethnic group is the Turks - in Stuttgart about 40% of the population is Turkish. chew on that one for a minute....
4. "Das ist verboten!" - everything is "forbidden" in Germany. there are TONS of rules - how to cross the street, where to put your trash, what not to do while crossing a bridge - its very interesting. we see the word "verboten" EVERYWHERE.
5. pencil boxes - all the students have them...girls AND boys. i think its interesting that while MY students rarely have ANYTHING to write with...German students always have multiple things to write with.